|Consent Form for Participation in a Research Project: University of Saint Joseph|
University of Saint Joseph
Department of Psychology
1678 Asylum Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117
1. Name of Principal Investigator: Kristin Henkel Cistulli, PhD
2. Student Researcher: Lizbeth Fabian
3. Study Title: The Effects of Persuasion on Voting Behavior
4. Invitation to Participate: As members of USJ’s Department of Psychology, we are conducting a research study on how persuasion methods used by presidential candidate’s influences voting behavior. We are asking you to participate in the study.
5. Purpose of the Study: The purpose of this research study is to determine how individuals are persuaded into voting for a specific presidential candidate.
6. Description of Procedures: You will be asked to view a presidential candidate’s personal information. After viewing the document, you will be asked a serious of questions and are to respond whether you agree with each statement. Also, you will be asked how likely you would vote for the candidate.
7. Risks and Inconveniences: There is minimal risk to this study. An inconvenience may be the time it takes to complete the study.
8. Benefits: There are no direct or immediate benefits to you. However, the results of this study can help to gain a better understanding behind voting behavior.
9. Confidentiality: All information that you provide as a part of this study will be kept strictly confidential. No one will be able to connect your identifying information with your responses to the survey given. You should be aware that the University of Saint Joseph Institutional Review Board may inspect study records as part of its mission to protect the safety of research participants.
10. Voluntary Participation: Your participation in this study is entirely voluntary. You may refuse to participate in this research. If you begin to participate in the research, you may at any time, for any reason, discontinue your participation without any negative consequences.
11. Contacts for Additional Information: If you have further questions about this research project, please contact the principal investigator, Kristin Henkel Cistulli, at (860) 231-5437 or the student researcher, Lizbeth Fabian at (860) 920-9992. If you have any questions about your rights as a research participant, please contact the University of Saint Joseph Institutional Review Board (IRB) at (860) 231- 5213. The IRB is a group of people that reviews research studies and protects the rights of individuals who agree to participate in research studies.
12. Authorization: I have read this information and have had the study purposes, procedures, risks and benefits explained to my satisfaction. By checking the "I agree" box below, I indicate my informed consent to participate in the study. I acknowledge that I have received a copy of this consent form.